The Certified Jail Executive Certification is for all sheriffs, jail supervisors, and administrators. The primary focus of this certification is on running constitutional jails, requiring more knowledge and experience with case law, liability, personnel management, and planning/preparation of jail operations.
For the Certified Jail Executive Certification you must meet the following requirements.
- United States citizen at least 21 years of age or Citizen of a country in which the United States does not have sanctions
- No felony convictions
- No dishonorable discharge from the United States military (applicable to United States Veterans only)
- Neither a record of disciplinary action from any state, province or territory, or licensing or certification board within the past 10 years nor subject under any such investigation
- Current National Sheriffs’ Association membership
- Minimum of 4 years supervisory work experience in a jail, detention facility, or support facility
- Complete a minimum of 40 total certified training hours within 24 months of formal application. Courses successfully completed within 12 months prior to the application submission date will be accepted.
- Minimum of 4 Years Supervisory Experience
The combination of courses you select in this category must equal 40 or more training hours.
Inmate Health Care: Advanced Medical* (6 Hours)
Inmate Health Care: Basic Psychiatric* (8 Hours)
Field Training Officer* (24 Hours)
First Line Supervisor (24 Hours)
Suicide Detection and Prevention in Jails* (16 Hours)
Use of Force in a Jail Setting* (16 Hours)
National Sheriffs’ Association Annual Conference Seminars (Various Hours)
National Sheriffs’ Association Winter Conference Seminars (Various Hours)
National Institute for Jail Operations Live Seminars (Various Hours)
* Available Online
Each individual course has a tuition cost that is due at the time of course registration. There is an additional one-time administrative cost of $895 to enroll in this certificate program. If you do not complete the certification process in the allotted time, do not pass the certification examination, or are not approved for the certification, no refund will be given.