The Certified Jail Supervisor Certification is for all jail supervisors and administrators. The primary focus of this certification is on running constitutional jails.
For the Certified Jail Supervisor Certification you must meet the following requirements.
- United States citizen at least 21 years of age or Citizen of a country in which the United States does not have sanctions
- No felony convictions
- No dishonorable discharge from the United States military (applicable to United States Veterans only)
- Neither a record of disciplinary action from any state, province or territory, or licensing or certification board within the past 10 years nor subject under any such investigation
- Current National Sheriffs’ Association membership
- Complete a minimum of 75 total certified training hours and pass certification examination within 24 months of formal application. Courses successfully completed within 12 months prior to the application submission date will be accepted.
- National Sheriffs’ Association First/Second Line Supervisor’s Correspondence Training Program (65 Hours)
The combination of courses you select in this category must equal 10 or more training hours.
- Inmate Health Care: Advanced Medical* (6 Hours)
- Inmate Health Care: Basic Psychiatric* (8 Hours)
- Interpersonal Communications in the Correctional Setting* (16 Hours)
- Field Training Officer* (24 Hours)
- First Line Supervisor (24 Hours)
- Suicide Detection and Prevention in Jails* (16 Hours)
- Use of Force in a Jail Setting* (16 Hours)
- National Sheriffs’ Association Annual Conference Seminars (Various Hours)
- National Sheriffs’ Association Winter Conference Seminars (Various Hours)
- National Institute for Jail Operations Live Seminars (Various Hours)
- Columbia Southern University: Jail Management Supervisor CJC 2051* (1 Hour)
* Available Online
Each individual course has a tuition cost that is due at the time of course registration. There is an additional one-time administrative cost of $345 to enroll in this certificate program. If you do not complete the certification process in the allotted time, do not pass the certification examination, or are not approved for the certification, no refund will be given.